35 Tanner Mountain Summit Trail


Beginning our trip from Grants Pass, Oregon, we headed Southwest on Highway 199, which is called the Redwood Highway, as it will take you to the majestic redwood forests in California.  At Cave Junction, we headed toward California Via Waldo Road, which becomes Happy Camp Road.  Just after entering California, we turned left into the Siskiyou National Forest, and after meandering back and forth over the state lines, we finally reached our jumping-off point in Oregon, and Josephine County. We were fortunate this time of year to drive far in without 4 wheel drive. We began our hike in the Red Buttes Wilderness area.


The trail winds uphill, through thick forests that thin out gradually as we climb.


The silence is incredible!


There are no sounds, other than our footsteps, and my labored breathing.

No birds were present at this altitude, as there really isn't anything for them to eat.

Talk about the "forest primeval", when a tree dies, it may still remain standing for another fifty-plus years. Protected by its neighbors, it could stand guard for a hundred years, unless fire should expose it to the winds by clearing away its defenders.

There is an occasional sound of a chipmunk scurrying away from our approach, but you can hear your heartbeat up here. Not a plane, or vehicle!


This bear sign was exciting to find, as we saw places that had been ravaged, likely so it could dig up a squirrel, or some ants for lunch.   Desperation for adventure must have taken over for me to resort to photos of scat!


From alongside the trail, the terrain beyond is wild, and beautiful!


Underbrush is not difficult to bypass, as it grows slow this high up.


The bears sometimes hasten the decay of the rotting trees. This one was likely here long before Christopher Columbus was even born.


Do I see an end to this trail?


Looking back, at my wife following behind with our other dog, as I break trail to fend off the creatures of the mountain, and listen for the cry of the Sasquatch.


Wow! Just as I thought we had made it to the top, I cross the beautiful meadow, and as I peer over the edge, I see More mountain!  A LOT MORE Mountain!


This is not the peak, so we trudge across, and up the meadow.


This is a view into the "roadless" wilderness.


As we reach the upper end of the steep meadow, the actual peak is challenging my 70 years, and I wonder if I am even capable of making such a climb.  After a lifetime of wearing a tie, and dress clothes, where the highest climb I had to make was up the "corporate ladder", this seemed a bit much.  Also being as I hate heights, what a challenge!


Beginning the assault on the summit, and my better sense, the views became even more incredulous for a city boy.


Looking back down was easier.


The trail winds along the edge in places to avoid the ancient, twisty, and very thick mountain shrubs.


Now we can see another mountain range in the other direction.


Now, we are close to the sheer face of the summit, and it makes me wonder how the "real" mountain climbers ever get the nerve the first time the one of these things going straight up the cliff!


Only one time-ravaged tree remains.  There are no signs of others, and it sits as a silent sentinel about halfway up to the peak.  If only we could observe what it has seen.  When you consider how long it took to grow at over six thousand feet this is really astounding.


Made it!  Here we are, dogs, and all!  The only thing miserable about the entire trip was the thousands of BLACKFLIES!

I have heard about them, but in 3 and a half years in the area this was my first encounter.  There were literally well over a thousand of the innocuous, vile creatures.  They covered the entire peak, and my immediate thought was that we may find something dead, but a quick look around revealed nothing.  I did not get the feeling of being bitten, as I have had several thousand mosquitoes on me in a Minnesota swamp before, but they were so thick that they just covered us completely!  Just a few feet from the top, and the flies returned to their homes; the invaders retreating.


How interesting would it have been to be on the U.S.Geological Survey team? Wherever we go, it seems that these folks were already there.  Looking  We are at 6298 feet above sea level.  I think a trip to the coast will be necessary for me to decompress!


Below us is Tanner Lake.  We have hiked in to this lake, and its little sister East Tanner lake before, and the trail to the lakes also will wind up to where we now stand, but it becomes a total hike of about seven and a half miles which at that time was too much of a challenge for the old guy to care for!

I must confess that my wife took this photo, as I felt mine may have been blurred (which it turned out to be), and I hate heights so much that she got this photo!


You can barely see East Tanner lake in the photo center, but I took it quickly, as the only thing I hate more than looking up, is looking down!


This is from the other side of the peak.


Looking back up at the summit was so much easier, and I realized it was not so bad after I got used to it.  Next, I think of Grayback Mountain: it's over 7000 feet.


A glance back at the sentry tree, and we depart.


Do I see a way up the face?  Forgedaboudit!


Wow, More scat. This time from an elk.


And a Coyote!  I found what I'm certain was a cougar track, but it wouldn't photo.


Also footprints!  Isn't it great that we could bring you all of these signs, and scat?  Anyone can photograph animals, but whoever gets these kinds of mementos?

I know, my wife thinks it's dumb also!


Signs of coyotes are everywhere, as the attempt to dig out the ground dwelling chipmunks.


Now that the peak is over the hill it looks a lot more tame.


The trail back down.


The Tanner Mountain summit is far up and to the right.


Looking Northeast.


One of the lesser peaks on our way out.  The view below is the edge of the cliff-side road, and looking into California.

Thanks for viewing, and WELCOME TO OREGON!